Riso Technics is a technical workshop that is required for those who want to use the Risograph printer as a member at The Bindery.
This class dives into the nitty-gritty specifics of operating the Risograph on your own. You must take this class + book a free orientation to qualify for membership and have access to the machine. Want to take the class now, but join as a member later? No problem: just join within 6 months of taking this Riso certification.
How do you work a Riso machine with confidence? How do you go from concept to printed piece? What papers and colors should you use for a project? This technical, no-experience-necessary workshop will answer these questions by teaching makers, artists, writers, and zinesters Riso operational knowledge in an easy, step-by-step class.
Students will leave with:
- A foundational understanding of how to operate, without aid, a RZ1090U Risograph machine to create multi-layered prints via both the scanning bed and through digital input.
- File preparation and registration rules-of-thumb.
- The knowledge to change a master roll, empty the discarded masters chamber, refill an ink cartridge, adjust print position, and more essential operations.
- The ability to accommodate different paper settings.
- Basic trouble-shooting tactics.
- Machine maintenance tips and Riso etiquette 'round our shared shop.
No artistic or printmaking background necessary. Beginners and those with minimal Riso experience are more than welcome to join. Recommended for ages 16 and up. All materials are provided. Bookings are non-refundable. Masks are currently optional but welcome.
*Special note: anyone who took Riso Basics—a different class—between January 1, 2022 and May 30, 2022 are eligible to take Riso Technics in 2022 at a discounted rate. Email [email protected] to claim this offer.
About your instructors: BearBear is a creative studio co-founded in 2019 by Diana Chu (she/her) and life partner Ben Grzenia (he/his). They live and work in Milwaukee with shared backgrounds in illustration and communication design. Ben and Diana combine nearly twenty years of graphic design experience from across various non-profit and commercial industries. They are eager to meet students at any level and make Risography accessible to the public in Milwaukee.